Monday, March 29, 2010

No underwear, plzzzz!


What a farking painful weekend it was! And pretty hilly one too! Yah, this psycho bitch went on her second 21km run at the recent Energizer Night Run last Saturday, with my running mate YK. (note: it IS YK’s first 21km run but YK is an athlete and plays basketball..pretty fit with very good hot bods, great VO2Max, blah blah blah..u get the drift!)

But anyway, I get asked why do I torture myself by doing shit like this and triathlons. I mean after all, at my age, I should be lazing by some pool side resort sipping margaritas, with young cubs. Nahhh…I like the thought of being a 41 yo pushing the boundaries and physical limits (in many other ways too!).

Despite that, it is during these runs/race that reminds me…yet again of the many reasons why I should be dialing back. This run in particular did not start off well from the beginning; as I work through the sequence of events in my head, leading to that night:

My training for 21km was shortened by easily 4 weeks, instead of getting my regular 8 weeks periodization ….due to work that picked up (say it : I luv my clients! They pay my bills!)

As race date drew nearer, work piled up more + rpm classes which I was teaching piled up too..(next time PB shld learn to say NO to covering classes!)

On race night, we arrived at start line 3 mins late..cos the freaking shuttle bus that was supposedly to have taken us to the start line, decided to take us on a tour of freaking Cyberjaya. So, what was supposed to be only a ‘short ride’ (as claimed by the organizers), turned out to be a 40 minutes bus tour!

U can imagine having started 3 mins late, this PB and YK just RAN for our lives and I swear, our heart rate just shot up all the way to the bloody skies….

And bcos this is the first time YK was running with me, think there were many of my funny behaviours which he wasn’t quite used to, such as these:

YK: Eh..woman..can u pls slow down the pace! We DO NOT need to chase the pack in front!

ME:BUT BUT, we are late! Damn it!! Quick pick up your pace LOL!

YK: We promised ourselves to enjoy the race, not kill ourselves!! AND can u pls stop looking at that stupid heart rate monitor watch of yours!!!!

ME:I can’t bloody function without it lah!!!Wait..slow slow..heart rate too high too high..PULL BACK! PULL BACK!

YK: Throw that bloody watch away!!! U can do tis without it!

Yes, and u can all imagine this going on for the rest of the run! AND, after grueling 17th km …most of us were really at the brink of “why the hell are we doing this again” “we shld be at home watching Glee!”….or “damn my hamstrings are painful”, “can’t feel my legs”…but this particular line from YK really takes the cake, at least for me lah:

ME: Eh!! Hamstrings damn painful…cramping up!!!

YK: I am painful elsewhere lah *has a look of discomfort on his face*

ME: Where??!!! U ok kah??

YK: *whispers to me* ..got pain between my groins! Underwear too TIGHT!!

ME: *slaps my forehead* …HAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

Aha! Funny things do happen at races, not all is about pain. It is moment like those that keeps you going…and yes, for the rest of the 3km, although it was painful, YK managed to lightened up those 3km and we made the best out of it, by truly enjoying the moments of running together and not stressed about how we started late, and having to chase or not having been able to train properly!

No comments:

Post a Comment