Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I am not fat, just depressed!

I was watching Oprah couple of days back and she was discussing the issues on teenage obesity in USA. It was a very touching episode as she interviewed a number of obese teenagers – reasons that lead to their obesity and I was not surprised (having been a very very fat person once myself!) at some of the reason that came about, amongst which were:

1. Lack of self-confidence….*ooohhh…these horrible thoughts like...”I am not pretty/good-looking enough”, “why can’t I look like these models in Vogue” , so I might as well binge myself to death!”

2. “Food is my best friend” ….*have we not all been there before at some point in our life?*

3. Parents who were constantly feeding them with all kind of shit without control…*and you guys should see the parents themselves….hmmmm…*

4. They eat when they are emotional like when they are scared, facing exams, lonely, stressed…*think some of us ARE STILL going thru this stage!*(ahem! Earth calling EA, Hammy 3, LB!!!!)

I guess there will be many reasons why we overeat, but it is all about control and the ability to find ways to cope with issues in our lives. We can always reach for those bar of chocolates when we PMS or had a really bad break-up, as long as we know when to stop. And it is a combination of mental strength and looking for other ways to help cope with the issues in our lives, for example, how about knowing that there is a certain Higher authority whom we can place our burdens with? I know I have trusted Him with all my problems….you just need to go find your own outlet.

At the end of the day, who will pay the price for it? Our body, our mental health, our physical outlook will have to suffer for it, if we don’t learn or teach the younger ones out there that there are ways to tackle all these issues.

Sad, so sad to see where these kids are now…..


No comments:

Post a Comment